Car Hire in Mallorca
Most visitants choose to rent a car during their visits to Mallorca so they can feel free and do some trips along the island. And most problably you do too.
There are many international and local companies working here in the island offering its services, and you can rent one at any time in the Airport, at the reception desk of your hotel or in one of the many car rental offices you'll find all around.
But before going trought a list of companies and its services, some good advises:
- It's a good idea to rent it at the airport?
- Depends on where the hotel you are going to stay into is. Palma's airport is about 15 min. from Palma's centre and a taxi cost around 15 Euro, but renting a car at the same airport suffers a 30 Euro tax. So if you are going just to Palma would be better to avoid it, so you also do not have to care about parking (it is really dificult) and just get it for these days you have organized your trips. You will feel more comfortable by having a taxi and in fact you will safe some money. On that case, Majorca Taxi offers a great transfer service with similar rates to a normal taxi.
- Should I book my rental car in advance?
- You really should do it if you are coming during the summer time. Car hire companies get often "empty" during the hot season, so it is really advisable that you arrange it at least one month in advance if you want to ensure you have one. On the other hand, you can save a few bucks during the winter doing it just when you arrive, as many companies do lower their rates on these months. Doing it in advance could mean that you pay high season rates while having it on low season.
- Should I really pay the full insurance fee?
- Many people says it is just a way to get some bucks from you but not a must, as it should be included in the rental rate. However, I have heard many different things on that. My personal advise is to pay and avoid to disccuse later on. Note that they have your credit card information and that you will be first billed and then asked. And arguing with the company once you are back at home will be quite difficult.
- So finally, where do I end up?
- It's up to you to make a finall decission, but check with the reception desk at your hotel. Most probably they will be working with some companies and sure they have great advise and a wide range of rates to offer.
Now some good car rental companies: